Sellers: Your House Could Be an Oasis for Buyers Seeking More OptionsSellers have a great opportunity this season as buyer demand still heavily outweighs the current supply of Acadiana homes for.
Why Am I Being Asked to Make Repairs?
Dated: August 17 2021
Why Am I Being Asked to Make Repairs?
Most people eager to sell their home in Acadiana want to do so as is, with as little effort involved as possible. However, if you are in any way handy with home repairs, or have a family member or good local handyman, making repairs could mean the difference between your house selling right away or staying on the market for months and between a high sale price and a low one.
Making repairs might also be a legal requirement before the sale of the house goes through. The mortgage lender will want to make sure the house is a valuable property with as few problems as possible.
Here are a few of the main areas to fix up so you can cash in.
The exterior, garden, driveway and garage will all be the first things people see when they come to view your home. You never get a second chance to make a good first impression. Paint the exterior a neutral, clean color like white. Freshen up fascia boards and soffits. Clean out all the guttering. Replace any broken roof tiles. Get someone in to give the garden the professional touch.
The driveway should look clean and well-kept, not covered in oil. The garage should not be crammed to the rafters. In fact, you should be able to fit your car in it. If you are struggling with stuff, de-clutter, donate to charity, or stick things in storage.
* Throughout the house - Paint is one of the easiest ways to make your home look fresh and clean. It can also help you remove any of the more extreme decorating you might have done in the time you’ve been in the house, like terracotta walls. A few coats of white should soon make even the darkest rooms dazzling.
* Remove wallpaper - Wallpaper is a matter of personal taste and preference, but it seems a bit old-fashioned compared to the sleek lines of a painted room. Remove the old paper, smooth the walls to get rid of any pitting, and apply a couple of coats of paint.
* Modern flooring - A lot of people have allergies these days, and are aware of the fact that carpeting can be pretty unhealthy, collecting mold, mildew, pet odors and dirt, and more. Consider taking up all the carpets and installing hardwood flooring, or vinyl hardwood.
* Update the kitchen - Everyone is looking for the latest stainless steel appliances, even if they can barely boil water, so plan on replacing them before you show the house.
Consider how old the cabinets look. There may be ways to modernize and refurbish them without having to gut the entire kitchen. Check out countertop options, including granite. Make sure the sink and the faucets look modern. Everything should be immaculately clean.
* Update the bathroom - A clean bathroom is also a must. It should be exceptionally clean, with everything in good working order, faucets, sink traps, the toilet handle, and more. Replace the toilet seat and hang new towels. Check the grout to make sure it is white and there are no gaps in it.
Attend to these areas and you will find your house easier to sell.
About Ted Daigle – Realtor Growing up in Church Point, LA instilled values of hard work and dedication, which has carried over into every aspect of his life, including real estate. This Lafayette r....
Latest Blog Posts
Important Distinction: Homes Are Less Affordable, Not UnaffordableIt’s impossible to research the subject of buying a home without coming across a headline declaring that the fall in home
What Does the Future Hold for Home Prices?If you’re looking to buy or sell a house, chances are you’ve heard talk about today’s rising home prices. And while this increase in
Dreaming of a Bigger Home in Lafayette LA? Why Not Buy It This Year?Are you clamoring for extra rooms or a more functional floorplan in your house? Maybe it’s time to make a move. If you&rsquo